Parent visa

Parent visa

The Parent visa is one of the popular migrant visas. It allows parent to join their children in Australia permanently. The child should be eligible sponsor for the parents.

Australian Parent Visa Basic Requirements

To be eligible for Parent visa, applicants should be able to clear the balance of family test. The parents (applicants, here) should be sponsored by their child who must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen*. Applicants should also satisfy health and character requirements. It is important that the visa has been applied from outside Australia.

Balance of Family Test: This test is applicable for applicants applying for Parent visa. As per the rules, applicants should satisfy either of these conditions:

They should have at least half of their children living legally and permanently in Australia


They should have more children living legally and permanently in Australia than in any one single country overseas..

Australian Parent Visa Entitlements

The Australian Parent visa holders are entitled to enjoy permanent residence of Australia. Just as permanent residents, holders of this visa are permitted to live, study and work in Australia, permanently. Once permanent residence is granted, a visa label is placed on applicants’ passport as proof of permanent residence status. They can also avail the advantages that give access to certain social security benefits, government-subsidized healthcare (Medicare), and the opportunity to apply for Australian citizenship.

However, Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa holders are entitled for a 2 year residence visa. During this period, they can avail government-subsidized healthcare (Medicare), work and study rights.

Have a child who is:

  • an Australian citizen,
  • an Australian permanent resident or,
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen (An eligible New Zealand citizen is a New Zealand citizen who was living in Australia on 26 February 2001 or for at least one year in the two years immediately before 26 February 2001) and,
  • who is lawfully resident in Australia for at least two years (A shorter period may be considered in exceptional circumstances)
( 1 , average 5 from 5 )
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: